Wednesday, November 26, 2008

My final night in Fukuoka

I know this is a bit out of order but, it was a night well worth sharing with everyone. So Fukuoka is a modern city that is known for their nightlife. I chatted a few guys up at the hostel and everyone seemed keen to go out hard so we went to the market bought some beers and got well on our way. The group included myself, Marc (a Spanish guy from Barcelona), Israel (another Spanish guy, but he was from Bask), and Marco (A Swiss guy who had been traveling around for the past month and a half in Japan so he was our best for of communication with the Japanese world).

So after a few drinks we set off for a bar in the Lonely Planet. Needless to say we got a bit a lost and found ourselves walking in the wrong direction. As any intelligent people, we stopped in a convenience store...not to ask directions but to refill as we continued to walk around aimlessly looking for a fine establishment that might meet our needs. We walked across a bridge that gave us a spectacular view of the Nakasu district of Fukuoka known for its shopping (pictured here).

After we finished off our beers we found this place that had a live band and played "Oldies but Goodies". They we not bad, a 7 piece group with a lead singer that had an Elvis look going on. I don't think I have to do much more explaining because the video will give you the feel of the whole time we spent in there. Another moment where I felt I was a stranger in a strange place.


We stayed in the place for two sets and had some University kids come over to us chat us up. They were happy to use what English they possessed and we were excited to talk to natives. Met a guy who played rugby, played flanker but was a smaller guy than me. It is going to be interesting to see what position the team I end up with plays me at... I really hope they realize I am way to pretty to be a forward.


After that we left, ¥4,000 down each but we decided that we were on holiday so it didn't matter. Then we were walking the streets and Marc, the guy from Barcelona, chatted up these two Japanese girls...as any flamboyant Catalonian would do. We followed to a club where it was ¥1,000 each to get in but from there on it was free drinks. We had a good time talking to these girls and danced the night away. When we left the club it was 4:30 in the morning and it was looking more and more like I would miss my train to Nagasaki. We took a cab home and I was in bed by 5:30 A.M. Needless to say I missed my train but made the next one and spent the first day in Nagasaki with the worst hangover I have had yet. It was all worth the experience.


P.S. No that is not a cigarette in my mouth it is Israel's hand with one in it.