Saturday, November 15, 2008

I hate it...I love it!

There are certain connotations attached with being a tourist. Usually people look at you differently, you tend to get lost, and you do not have the advantage of falling back on your basic instincts. Although the aforementioned things are bad, you also are rewarded with the experience of a lifetime by seeing things that you never thought you would. I have experienced both jubilation and frustration over the first few days here in Japan.

First, the frustration. Yesterday I set off to Shinjuku district..the skyscrapers and busiest section of Tokyo. I got on the wrong line and headed the wrong direction. Once I got off, and left the station I realized this much so there was my first 230 yen gone to stupidity. Once I was back on the subway I got off at what I thought was a free transfer point...nope. Another 230 yen gone. Finally after forking up 260 yen more I got on the right subway that took me to Shinjuku.

Once at Shinjuku I figured I would wander aimlessly for a half hour before I would try to go to the Meiji Shrine, one of the oldest and most historic Shinjo Shrines. Well, bad idea. I got very lost in the commotion and walked and walked and walked until finally after 3 hours, I was back where I started, Shinjuku station. From there I navigated my way to shrine and it was quite the amazing site. Little girls and boys dress up in kimonos with their families watching them prey. The thing I love about Japanese people is that because they love photographing things just as much as I do, they do not care if you take pictures of them.

My last frustrating moment was when I was coming home from the Roppongi area last night. Roppongi is the big nightlife area, paying \800 for a beer I only had two and watched my team, Liverpool beat Bolton live. Coming home I left the pub at 11:30 thinking I gave myself ample time to get home...wrong. I road one line for 30 minutes and when it was time to transfer, the other line was out of service because it was past midnight. I knew I was not too far from home but did not know what way to walk and did not have a map. I hopped in a cab, he turned around and drove me literally 4 blocks and told me I was at my station, 710 yen later...very frustrating.


But once again, this frustration was not for nothing. Last night before I went out I decided to grab dinner at a local place. Naturally the place with "English Menu" appealed to me. It was a very little spot so I decided to sit outside and order a beer and some food. While I was waiting, two Japanese men at the bar area invited me to sit with them. They didn't speak more than 10 words in English but we tried to converse. Talked about cold Chicago and the Cubs, well just Fukadome. one of them bought me a beer and we kept trying to understand each other mainly using hand gestures. Pretty cool all in all and a wonderful experience. They want me to come back tonight so I might just do that. Well, off for another day of adventure, it is raining and cold here so might be inside at museums more of the day.