After a 18 hour ferry ride across the Yellow Sea, I finally arrive in Qingdao. It is not the type of cruise that I have experienced in the past. Nothing like the family cruises through the Caribbean and yet a little better than the cheap ferry we took in college from Miami to the Bahamas. There was not much to do on board besides read. The boat was fully equipped with a convenience store, restaurant, and that is about it. The space that I had looked like this...I was bottom bunk...there were 8 beds in each row and in my section there were 8 rows. They found out to get as many people in there as possible but for the equivalent of $75 it wasn't bad.Getting through immigration was not really a problem but it was a little intimidating when we first arrived and I was getting my stuff together a women from the staff can to me and told me to follow her. I walked down to the restaurant and she told me to sit at one of the tables. At the same table was a guy from Tunisia and he wondered why we had been singled out, I thought probably because we were the only non Korean or Chinese people on the all of the ship. Four military people came in and said they needed to verify that we were carrying valid passports. It was kind of scary especially since they had a camera crew filming the whole thing. I didn't ask any questions just stood there and smiled. It was determined that I indeed was carrying my own passport and could continue onto the bus which took us to the actual immigration. Long story but in the end it was not too bad. Getting out of the ferry terminal I recognized the first major difference between China and the other countries...everything is in Chinese. I looked at a map...no help...asked a few people...no help...finally a lady told me where to get money and just when I step out the door I get bombarded by taxi drivers. After saying no several times they finally get the idea and leave me alone.
Getting money in a new country is always such a relief. I don't know why I am always freaked out that I will not be able to get cash. I think it is because of a bad experience somewhere but in China, first place worked so it was good news. Instead of dealing with the crazy taxi guys I decided to wonder. After 30 minutes thought it might have been a bad idea but asked some people for help to get to one of two hostels I wrote down...I was in luck cause they knew where the road where one was located. After another hour of walking finally found my hostel, nice place but had to get a single room...only ended up being $10 though...and had the luxury of a full size bed.
Well, just found out I cannot add anymore photos so will work that out later. After getting my place set up went off to get a train ticket to Beijing which was another process in itself. Stood in line for about an hour and thankfully the guy in front of me spoke a little English and helped me out. Long of the short, got my ticket leaving the next day at 7:45 at night and arriving in Beijing at 5:30 in the morning but it was pretty cheap ticket so didn't complain. The rest of the day consisted of walking around the beach and the pier. Qingdao was where they held the sailing event for the Olympics and has hence become the city of sails. That night my hostel was putting on a dumpling making party. I learned how to make dumplings and had a lot of fun meeting people from China. It was a lot of fun and got to eat way to many dumplings for my own liking.
The next day started off with a tour of the Tsingtao brewery which was interesting. This brewery has an amazing history beginning in 1903. The brewery...much like Qingdao...was formed by Germans. Germany held Qingdao to the time of Japanese occupation after the first world war. Same goes for the brewery and then was taken over by the Chinese after the May 4th uprising in 1922. From 1922 to 1955 the brewery was owned by the Chinese but run by the Japanese...couldn't quite figure that one out. In 1955 the people's party took over control and continued to promote the production of its beer. This brewery has seen a lot of different owner but the beer always remained the same and it the largest and oldest in China. Very interesting stuff.
After a few tastes of beers to start out the day I went to the Qingdao Guesthouse which was called the Governor's House during German occupation. Then it was transformed into somewhat of a summer house while Mao was in power, he liked traveling to Qingdao to spend his summers. They have left it exactly how it was the last time Mao visited which was kind of cool. Next to that there was a really nice park onto of the hillside. There was a rotating platform on top of one of the building where you could see all of Qingdao, pretty spectacular. Battling the cold I went back to the hostel and rested a bit before boarding my train. After a long train ride I arrived in Beijing this morning and am off to explore the city. Once I figure out how to ass more photos I will. So figured there is no way to format photos so next post only photos. The photos in order are Qingdao beach, Catholic church, making dumplings, outside the Tingtao brewery, Governor's mansion, Tiananmen Square, and the forbidden palace (imperial palace)...hope you enjoy!