Monday, January 19, 2009

Lst couple days in Beijing

I feel as though I have been in Beijing forever but it has only really been 6 days. I guess it just feels long because I really wanted to get out of here on Saturday but was unable to because of the Chinese New Year traveling craze. I am leaving tonight which I am quite glad about and heading to Xi'an which should be good fun. I have now learned that once I arrive in the train station, even before going to my hostel I will attempt to by a ticket to Chengdu a dew days down the road. Hopefully, this plan will work better and will not have me stranded there like I was in Beijing.

Although I have spent more time in Beijing than anticipated, it is a great city. I think it is a little spread out but I do like what it has to offer, just wish there was not so much smog but what are you going to do. Since I last wrote I have visited the Summer Palace, Lama Temple, the Olympic Park, and the Beijing Zoo. Obviously I have done other things besides just seeing those but those were the highlights.

The Summer Palace was kind of a hike outside the city, I mean I took the subway and a bus to get there but it was a wonderful place. It is a massive plot of land that had a lake in the center. I wondered around there for a while and saw some pretty cool old buildings but I can't recall what any are called right now. Spent a little time walking around the frozen lake as well. Upon leaving I found the bus stop and waited like everyone else for bus 690 to arrive. It was really cold and lost feeling in both feet. After about 45 minutes of waiting patiently three 690 pull up. They do not let anyone on, the drivers just get out and have a cigarette and chat with each other. It was one of the most annoying things I think I have ever had to deal with. So after 5 more minutes of waiting the first bus pulls up and right past all of us waiting there. I could not freaking believe it. Then we had to wait another 5 minutes for the second bus to come to the station and thankfully it stopped...secretly I was thinking about throwing someone in front of it to make it stop.

Day two entailed going to the Lama Temple. It was a very interesting experience to say the least. I mean everywhere you go there are pits of burning incense. There were probably around 20 building all holding some sort of Buddha or Buddhas. People would make a day out of praying...stopping at each one with incense and kneeling down to pay respects. The coolest Buddha was one carved from one tree standing 26 meters tall. This was the main attraction to all those not praying at ever temple but it was still interesting to see all the different Buddhism gods.

After the temple was going to go a mosque but they would not let me in. I think it was because I looked like a tourist, camera around my neck and all but the guy would let me in. While I was in the area around the mosque I saw the funniest thing. Only in China will you find a mobile pet store. I mean this guy had a three wheeled bike and on the back he had two fish tanks with loads of goldfish in them and a row of cages with bunnies in them. He was just biking along I assume yelling something about prices of the animals. I thought it was pretty funny but didn't react quick enough to snap a photo.

The final stop of the day was at the national flag. At sunrise and sunset about 20 soldiers come out of the forbidden city and cross the road and take the flag down. It was really neat to witness and there were loads of people watching as well. It is really a little intimidating how many soldiers there are around in Tienanmen Square...maybe they just want to prevent another student protest.

Today I went to the Beijing Zoo. Well, it wasn't really my first plan but the Military Museum was closed on Mondays which I found out after getting there and so I went to my backup plan...the zoo. The zoo was alright, I think I was spoiled growing up because the Lincoln Park Zoo is one of the best ones I have ever been too but Beijing's wasn't bad. I felt really bad for the lions and tigers, they were forced into cells about 20 by 20 with no natural habitat around them. The best part of the zoo was the pandas...could be my new favorite animal. They are really relaxing to watch, they kind of just hang out and eat bamboo all day. Well, I have to get going to catch my train...14 hours on a seat. It is sure to be an experience and I am just hoping I am not in the middle.