Riding on a train during Spring Festival in China is something I wish upon no one. It is kind of a really cultural experience but it is something that wears on you for sure. S it took 16 hours...I was told...to get from Xi'an to Chengdu. Well, it was a long journey and I finished my 1000 page beast of a book by Tom Clancy so I really had nothing to do which was probably why it seemed so long. After about 15 hours we arrived at a station and most people seemed to get off the train. I thought it might be Chengdu so I asked someone if it was Chengdu. I don't think he understood me because he repeated Chengdu and pointed down the track. Just taking his word for it I assumed that Chengdu was the next stop and since we were an hour ahead of when I thought the train was to get in I sat one the train. Well, when the train took off I saw a sign saying Chengdu...not good. So I basically ended up riding the train two more hours to Mt. E Mei and sitting in the station for four hours and then taking two more hours to get back to Chengdu. It was a long side trip but everything has an up side I guess.
The train officials were very understanding and quite helpful. So as soon as I realized that I had missed my stop I found a conductor and told him I was supposed to get off. He then proceeded to tell me to follow him with all my stuff. Trying to make your way through 5 train cars with the aisled filled with people and luggage with a big backpack is not an easy task let me tell you...being foreign didn't help my cause either. Once we got to the restaurant car all the conductors were there and the top one filled out a form and told me to sit in the car. I did that for two hours and I got off at the first stop escorted by the head conductor. He put me in the possession of another conductor who told me what train to get on and took me to where they all eat at the station. I got a free meal from the station chef and then waited for 4 hours. Since I finished my book I read a brief history of China...quite an interesting country. Then I met some Chinese guys...Jack and Jeff (English names)...and chatted with them for a while and then when it was time to board the train they wanted me to sit with them. That was not an option though cause the station master took me and put me in the restaurant car again and the head conductor took control of me. While on the train back to Chengdu met Ella and Lee Chin Song, a couple traveling to Chengdu for New Years. She spoke really good English and had a great conversion with them and the time passed very quickly. Upon arriving at Chengdu the head conductor took me off the train and gave me to the station master who helped me get a cab. Although it was a very unnecessary trip I met some very nice people and the people working the train went out of their way to help me which was quite nice.
About Chengdu...a very nice city and the hostel I stayed at was awesome..Mix Hostel. So I slept in
after the 24 hour train journey and explored the city a little on Saturday. Went to Wenshu temple which was a Buddhist temple and quite nice and walked around the small streets of what Chengdu used to be. Went to the main square in town and had a nice day. The next day I went to the Panda Research Center which Chengdu is famous for. It was awesome to see the pandas up close and personal...the cubs are adorable. There was about 5 in each little cage thing and they just play with each other and mess about...quite fun to watch for a while. Then I kind of took it easy and got ready for Chinese New Year. Chinese New Year is unlike anything I have experienced before. First we had a dumpling making
party...third one in two weeks of traveling China. If I do say so myself getting kind of good at making them. Had some drink and ate too many dumplings. After that Mix...the hostel owner...took us out to the streets were it felt like a war was going on. Everyone was lighting firecrackers, just madness. Then we went to KTV...Karaoke...and had plenty of fun til 4 in the morning. Long night and fell that I did not spend enough time in Chengdu but need to be on my way. Board a trip at 4 to Kunming, 22 hours I think but I have a hard sleeper...what luxury so it should not too bad.