Tuesday, February 10, 2009

No I don't want a custom made suit or a tuktuk

After the long journey on the bus I finally made it. Bangkok is quite a busy little city. I mean there are about 6 million people here and it is a place I could see myself living in is I had to live abroad again. There are things going on all over the place but the amount of times I had to turn down a custom made suit or a tuktuk is ridiculous. I really don't know how those guys make money.

I arrived yesterday around 4 in the morning. The bus drops you off at Kho San road which is the really tourist part of Bangkok. Since it was so early everything was nearly shut but walked around a little and managed to find a guesthouse that was relatively cheap at 7 in the morning and got some sleep before heading off to explore the town. I walked up and down Kho San road a few times where you can literally buy anything you can imagine. It is even crazier than China in that respect. I finally gave in and took a tuktuk to some of the sights. I saw a very large standing Buddha, the lucky Buddha, and the Golden Mount. It was really interesting because it was a Buddhist holiday so there were many people praying and visiting the same spots so I really got a feel as to what the religion is all about. At the lucky Buddha met some monks and a school teacher who talked with me for a while and welcomed me to their country...they all said I need to stay longer than 2 weeks but I will just have to come back I guess.

Like every tuktuk experience he took me to three shops where if I bought something I take they would pay for his gas so I went and looked but did not buy anything. As a result I think he had had enough of me and left me at the Golden Mount...or at least I could not find him when I got out of there. I really had no clue where I was so asked a few people and they guided me to the bus station and told me which bus to get on...Thai people are very kind and helpful. Once I showered and hit up Kho San road again.

I cannot tell you how many times I have eaten Pad Thai on the street. It is less than a dollar and it is delicious....so you can't go wrong. Met this guy from Ghana and we had a few drinks and went to a club. It was a good night but I feel very weird about the girls here. I mean some of them are really attractive but there are tons of ladyboys. These are cross dressers that might have had surgery . I first look for the Adam's apple but I was told some even get that shaved down so I think hand size is a good indicator but you never can be too careful so I just have stayed away.

Today I went to the bus station and got my ticket to Ko Cheng. Ended up not going to the full moon party...heard it is just crazy and overrated. I mean I still would have loved to experience it but for next trip I guess. Also it was so far down there and I would have get back so I would spend 2 days on buses and ferries so now I am heading Southeast to Ko Cheng. It is a nice little island where I can chill out on the beach for a few days before heading into Cambodia. I find it strange the Thailand was the place I wanted to visit the most and will probably spend the least amount of time here. I think I am just giving myself a reason to come back. Will post some pictures later but time is running out.